Search This Blog

Monday, August 16, 2010

Because I love music...

I'm going to share with you my 5 favorite albums in my...well short life span. I'm sure something better will come along, but in the meantime:

(While trying to learn the guitar: "I must be musical, I have hundreds of CD's!")

For the sake of not being a douche, I'm keeping it to this decade strictly. Except for this one:

Number 5:
Dream Theater
Metropolis, Pt. 2: Scenes from a Memory
Is it meant to be one of those psychological tests? Cos...i see a face














It's pretty epic. And I do mean that in the strictest sense. EPIC. There's accordions, jazz crap, and I'm sure I heard a harp at one point.
It's a 'Prog-rock' album, to coin it in literally. Dream Theater are a band that have usually stayed underground, but has a massive fanbase there. I am one of those self proclaimed fans, and this is easily their masterpiece. Insane time signatures, tight production, epic keyboards, the whole jazz. It's a concept album about a guy called Nicholas discovering his past incarnation as some broad called Victoria, and what led to her death. For a album, it's a pretty interesting story. And the last track is probably the best in terms of catchiness, music quality, and story.

So give it a listen. It's pretty tough to sit through the whole thing in one go, but it's even worse to pause it halfway and do something else...like listen to THIS ALBUM!

(I love a good segue^_^)

Number 4:
 Coheed and Cambria
Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume One: From Fear Through the Eyes of Madness
I can't believe they fit the title on the cover O_O












Yeah, it's another "PROGRESSIVE" album, but shut up, I'm listening to it right now :)
And yes, it's ANOTHER concept album, but unlike the last one, I have no fucking clue what they're singing about. But goddamn, it's still amazing.
The first half is more of a radio-friendly, anthem sounding catchy sorta style of music, while the second half transcends into a more progressive, rock opera style. It's hard to say which half is better. I listen to the first half much more, but the second half is just superior in terms of...well...it shows how much C&C have evolved. Of course, it couldn't have worked at all if it wasn't for the brilliant voice of Claudio Sanchez. Seriously, this guy can sing. And if you're wondering how they pull up live, just check out the Neverender DVD. It can, and it's amazing how multi-talented Sanchez is, pulling off complicated riffs while singing his heart out. Top track would definitely be Apollo 1: The Writing Writer. Yeah, retarded name, but it's damn catchy, the lead guitar work is sensational, and it harbors some great lyrics:

I don't want to go
So come on bitch, why aren't you laughing now?
You left me here to fend on my own accord
So cry on bitch, why aren't you laughing now?


-believe me, when you hear the song, you'll agree the lyrics are great.



I lack a proper segue for number

3 (hey, actually that segue worked ok):
Parkway Drive
Horizons
Seriously, you can't expect a witty caption for every one, can ya?













Huh. So, we've dived into the dangerous territory of 'metalcore'. Don't be hating, don't close my blog now and send me hate mail, it's actually a pretty decent album. The shortest album on this list, still clocking a hefty 38 minutes of pure, raw, energy. Seriously, this band gets you pumped, makes you wanna mosh. And that's what makes it work. Insane guitars, ground shaking drums and...well...non existent bass mixed with some quality screaming. It just works. The screaming isn't too heavy, and there's even some clean vocals thrown in for the rhythmic parts, when it dies down for a moment, or when it's building up to the final chorus or solo. Guitars are quality as well. I'm still trying to learn the breathtaking solo for "Breaking Point". Best song? Romance is De-
Wait, that's on their first album >.<.
I'd say...Five Months. It's really good. Either that or Carrion.

So moving on, if there's anyone still reading...

Number 2:
Rise Against
The Sufferer & the Witness
Uh...I see a couple coffee stains. Seriously. Might need some help here...













Ohhhh man. Rise Against. One of my favorite bands. What got me into the whole live gig scene thing, kinda. Well, I really wanted to see them live, and I did, does that count?

No complicated story here. Just, like the previous album, energy. Fist pumping anthems that were created to yell/sing along to, moshing and what-not. Your heart starts beating faster when you know the great bit is coming up, Tim McIlrath sings with passion and power, and you swear you've never heard any other band do the (usually generic) Punk Rock genre with as much love as these guys. And don't be doubting yourself, you haven't heard punk rock until you've heard this album. Yes, I chose to put them under Punk Rock. I think it's fitting, to a degree. Best song? Behind Closed Doors. Which is why I was heartbroken when they didn't play it live. Oh well, there's always next time.


Oh, finally, we've reached number 1. Oh no wait, this means I have to go back to my crappy accounting work ^_^

Number 1:
Streetlight Manifesto
Somewhere In The Between
And taking the prize for shittiest album cover in a blogpost full of shitty album covers...













Right. Saxophones. Punk rhythm guitars. Actual BASS. Decent vocals. Trumpets. It's a full scale orchestra for the punk. But technically it's called Ska, or if you want to get REALLY technical, Third Wave Ska. Ska Punk is a genre I rarely listen to, yet here is my number one. Why? Because no one does it better, and it's not only an amazingly technical accomplishment, it's tied together with band members who have mastered their instruments, an amazing leader of Tomas Kalnoky, and some damn, DAMN FINE lyrics.
 Yes, I'm creaming myself over this album. It's just that good. From the starting song it assaults you with a cacophony of saxophones, trumpets, drums, bass and that light ska-rhythm guitar that is so well renowned. This is easily the best ska album I've listened to, and it's mix of jazz and punk works so bloody well, it's like peanut butter and chocolate, or me and a vinyl player. It's goddamn delicious. Wait...that analogy doesn't work...
Favorite track has to be The Receiving End Of It All. Yeah, not going into it. It's good. Really good. An amazing song in an already amazing album. The one flaw it has is the track listing. The Title track would've worked amazing if it was the closing track, but hey, nobody's perfect. But this is about as close as you can get.


There it is folks. I had fun writing this, so I don't care if you hate it :)

Oh hell, here's some other albums that have wowed me, influenced me, but I couldn't find the words to talk about them:
Iron Maiden- Powerslave
Black Sabbath- Paranoid
Megadeth- Rust In Peace, Peace Sells....But Who's Buying?
Metallica- Master Of Puppets, Ride The Lightning, Kill 'em All.
Journey- Um...whatever one that had Don't Stop Believing
Children Of Bodom- Follow The Reaper
Led Zeppelin- I, II, III, IV
Parkway Drive- Killing With A Smile
A Day To Remember- Homesick
Rise Against- All the others besides The Unraveling
Enter Shikari- Take To The Skies, Common Dreads
Alexisonfire- Crisis (actually, this would've been in my top 6 ^_^)
Avenged Sevenfold- City Of Evil (top 7 ^_^)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love it or hate it, comment.