Search This Blog

Monday, August 23, 2010

Update this crap with random crap!

So. I realize I should update this BLOOOOOOOG as much as I update my statuses. Like...once an hour. So what's been going on in my life as of...23 of August?

Nothing. Uni. Por-
moving on. 

Got married. Legit. She even gave me a ring. Yes, I'm the wife. 

Went drinking. Went out. Slept in. 
Ok, first of firsts:

What movies I watched recently:

(SPOILERS FOR SCOTT PILGRIM...ALTHOUGH IT'S BASICALLY A FORMULAIC ROMANTIC COMEDY...WITH SUPERPOWERS)
I'm going to focus on Scott Pilgrim here. After hearing from everyone how amazing this film was, obviously, my expectations would obviously be quite high. And unfortunately, Scott Pilgrim failed to impress. It seems destined to aim for 'cult' status, it's basically two hours of homages and callbacks to old school gaming (which I never got into when I myself was a kid), and the less said about Michael Cera the better. Ellen Wong is also a annoying Asian bitch who, on the plus side, vomits sunshine and happiness. Yeah, she's pretty damn cute. Whatever.

On the PLUS side, there's some killer jokes, and the homages that I DID catch were pretty funny as well. Highlight number 1:

Scott Pilgrim jumping out of a window. I've seen it a million times in the trailers but it was still pretty funny.

There were a couple of neat fight scenes. The whole Roxy v Ramona was good. The first fight was kinda ruined by the whole 'Bollywood' thing that was incredibly lame. I personally did enjoy the whole fighting game homages, with stuff like *Scott* VS *random guy* being superimposed on the screen, and the whole K.O at the end, complete with cheesy announcement.

But most of the time the comedy falls flat, the ending is kinda...meh (I mean...poor Knives). And the BIGGEST problem? Ok, I'm gonna level with the one/two people who read this (thank you btw :D). I'm perfectly fine with the amounts of over-ridiculousness that the film thrusts upon us, but the fact that we have reminders every now and then that we're NOT meant to think that these 'superpower fights' are part of that world. Cue example STACEY PILGRIM. She's the one who exhibits incredulity that these guys are fighting video-game style, with crazy effects and unbelievable powers. Look Edgar Wright (director), you either go all out or not at all. By trying to instill a 'rational' link to our world, you ruin the tone of the film. With Stacey ever-so-present to remind us that it's just a film, the whole immersion factor was lost on me. And I, along with my friends next to me, were right next to Stacey, incredulous at the amount of craziness going on on screen.

So, contrary to my FB review, I'll give it 3 stars. It's nice to see something unique, even though the plot was basically ANY typical romance film, only with video games. I'll recommend a watch, because I rather you watch this than 'The Expendables'. Ugh. I will not be spending my well earned (by that I mean whoring myself out) money on THAT travesty of a film.

Final shout outs go to Kieran Culkin and Allison Pill playing two of the funniest characters in the film. Gay roomate + sarcastic drummer? AWESOME.

"WE ARE SEX BOB-OMB AND WE ARE HERE TO WATCH SCOTT PILGRIM KICK YOUR TEETH IN! ONE TWO THREE FOUR-"


Music:
Influenced by the wife, I decided to check out these albums. All the ones I put up here are thoroughly recommended:

oh...cbf putting up album covers. Suck it! (I realize now why no one reads this O_o)

On the heavy side:
A Day To Remember- Homesick/For Those Who Have Heart:
Think New Found Glory meets Killswitch Engage. Pure epic. I always wanted to combine those two genres. Well, not really. But it's pretty damn catchy, fresh and easy to listen to. Typical screaming+typical pop punk riffs and anthems= a damn good band. Top tracks for Homesick= If It Means A Lot To You, and I'm Made of Wax...
FTWHH=The brilliant cover of Kelly Clarkson's 'Since U Been Gone'. But there's some more gems in there.

Alesana- The Emptiness.
It's a concept album, but don't let me bore you with the story. Again, metalcore/post-hardcore. More high-pitched singing mixed with atypical screaming. It's pretty safe stuff here. 

Parkway Drive- Deep Blue.
Eh. It's no 'Horizons'. But Sleepwalker is one of their best songs in their entire catalog.


On the softer side:
Belle & Sebastian- The Boy With The Arab Strap.
Yes, it was mentioned in the film 500 Days Of Summer. It's pretty amazing. Indie rock, I dunno what you call it. It's very mellow, very sweet, and the perfect album to listen to when you're with a significant other or just want to fall asleep to something that isn't SCREAMING IN YOUR HEAD.

Yeah, I consider this to be soft(er):
New Found Glory- Coming Home.
It's NOTHING compared to their latest and first, but it's definitely nice and slow. Pop punk for the drugged up. 

Paramore- Riot!
I don't really LOVE Paramore...but goddamn I do love Hayley William's voice. And her face...and her ass-




Moving on to shit I'm reading:

I WAS reading WWZ by Max Brooks, until I lent it to my mate Tom. Good book, details basically World War 3...if it was zombies. World War Z. It's pretty harrowing for a FICTIONAL book, and it's got a fair share of blood, brains and kick-ass commentary. 



My Sister's Keeper, for the 100th time.
It's awesome. Jodi Picoult. Pick up a copy. Possibly her best book. No comment on the movie, haven't seen it.


Death Note, finished off Battle Royale, Ichi The Killer, and I tried reading a volume of One Piece but I was too busy. All courtesy of my brother and his University Library. My library sucks balls, I'd be lucky to snag a seat half the time.


My uni books...(laughs hysterically)




I'll leave you here. Pick up a recommendation, if you're like me, you shan't regret it!
Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love it or hate it, comment.